Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Jazz-Rock Isn't Dead...

I wonder if jazz-rock isn’t slowly being rehabilitated in much the same way progressive rock and Prog with a capital P has been in the last few years.

Increasingly a lot of the music that comes across my desk is undoubtedly what would have been called jazz-rock or fusion back in the day.

Interestingly, most of it emanates from the Scandinavian countries.

Although there are elements in these albums that are clearly referring back to old-school acts such as the Mahavishnu Orchestra and more hairy-arsed rock bands from the 70s with a penchant for riffing out, the flavour is distilled from their own distinctive way of doing things.



Why is it that musicians from Sweden, Finland and Norway in particular appear more comfortable in embracing  jazz-rock and fusion as an emotional and expressive force in a way that makes their counterparts elsewhere in Europe seem more cautious and circumspect? 

3 comments:

Worldengine said...

Sid!

There's a band of friends here in Brazil which is trailing the fusion ways, although they also throw in some post-rock and brazilian music into the mix.

I never any of their gigs, always an amazing experience.

https://soundcloud.com/quartosensorial

Cheers!

Valmor

Sid Smith said...

Hi there,
thanks for dropping in and thank-you also for the heads-up on the band.Will definitely check them out.

Worldengine said...

You're totally welcome. I'm a raving supporter of their music (which is completely without peers in our country as far as I know) and I'll be also stepping up as producer of their next effort!

By the way, I'll abuse this opportunity and also send you a link to my very own project. It has a guest participation from Bruce of The Pineapple Thief. I've released this online about one month ago. I already sent it to Anil Prasad and would love to show it to you as well, as you two are the music writers I follow the most!

http://worldengine.bandcamp.com

Best wishes!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin