Search This Blog

Loading...

Saturday, October 20, 2012

King Crimson Larks' Tongues In Aspic The Complete Recordings

In the post today...


In the last few years I've been lucky enough to be commissioned to write liner notes for some of my favourite albums. I still get a frisson when I get asked to write notes for an album that I had or admired when I was a kid growing up in the early '70s and it's a novelty that shows little sign of wearing off.

So to be part of the team that's assembled the special 15-disc box set Larks' Tongues In Aspic The Complete Recordings - an epically comprehensive documentation of probably my favourite incarnation of the band I've been a fan of since 1971 - has been an honour and a privilege. After a couple of years in the making it's wonderful to finally see it all made real.

The overview...


A 35page booklet with lots of pictures and essays from yours truly, box set compiler Declan Colgan and an interview with Robert Fripp; a set of suitable-for-framing postcard portraits in an envelope emblazoned with a backstage pass (that my sister Lesley swiped from KC circa March '73); album and concert flyers; repro Rainbow gig ticket with a code to download the gig; a suitable-for-framing print of the cover artwork and 15 discs housed in rather fetching heavy-card covers...








What's amazed me is how close to selling out this limited-edition set of 7,000 is even before it has shipped. Clearly it's not just me that thinks this line-up of King Crimson was rather special.


5 comments:

zorknapp said...

Holy hat! Can't wait to get mine in the mail...

Mike

joesh said...

Looks great, I'd love to know what's actually in the package (13cds, A dvd and a blue-ray) .... but of what?

It looks mouth-wateringly wonderful, shame I just can't afford it, or at least the Amazon price £93. It's definitely cheap when you work out the price per disc, but unfortunately ... you still have to have the readies.

joesh said...

I forgot to add that I'm not sure that listening to 'Larks Tongue in Aspic (Pt 1)' 19 times, as an example might be a bit of an overkill? Bloody good track as it is!

As a jazz lover I have some of those 'complete' Charlie Parker boxes, and the like. Somehow I never got round to the 12th take of 'Night in Tunisia' .... LOL!

TimJ UK said...

My David Cross postcard is missing :( Wrote to DGM, but got no response. Perhaps I got the wrong department. Having paid £90 for it, it would have been nice to have it complete!! Wonderful box though, and great packaging/artwork. It makes all other labels' boxes seem like the rip-off they are :))

Sid Smith said...

Tim - can you drop me a line via email? thesidsmith at gmail dot com

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin