Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Today Was Made Of Win

Starting the day very early due to continued difficulties I'm experiencing with my hip at the moment. On the upside I get to start work that bit earlier. This morning's work was thinking about Talk Talk and working with Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden in some considerable detail. Here's the view later in the morning circa 6.15 a.m. ish as I listened to Spirit of Eden...



After some correspondence with Talk Talk producer Tim Friese-Greene, the morning was spent partly transcribing conversations I had yesterday with Theo Travis in the afternoon (relating to the Talk Talk piece) and then another conversation I had with Steve Feigenbaum of Cuneiform Records about Univers Zero and Henry Cow.

Steve is one of those characters I felt I already knew through the magic of the intertubes although this was the first time we'd talked. He was also the kind of guy I would love to pull up a chair and have a beer with.

Alys called in. Although I'd taken Min to the vet the week before relating to potential courses of treatment for her continuing hair loss, I'd singularly failed to notice that one claw on each front paw was growing into her pad. Because of pressures of work at my end, Alys had kindly volunteered to do the trip. In another lightning raid, Alys entered the yellow room, scooping up the Min Mook...

 

 and swiftly depositing the hapless animal into the box for transportation...


Min was not a happy camper to say the least.

With Alys and Min gone, more transcribing, listening and note-taking was the order of the day. 

Later in the afternoon, I did something I do so rarely that it felt positively extraordinary. I picked up a pen, wrote a cheque, then a covering letter, addressed the envelope by hand, put a stamp on it, then walked to postbox and posted it.  It felt so...odd.

An interesting and useful phone call came in from a pal. Sometimes things that stay still and don't move for ages suddenly leap into life.

Min came back from the vet and though initially positing a I'm not coming near any of you lot vibe to one and all, eventually thawed out to be her usual scatty self and none the worse for her claw-cutting ordeal.


Onto Skype for an interview with David Rhodes. I first saw David play with Random Hold when they were supporting Peter Gabriel at the City Hall sometime in the late 70s or very early 80s. Today we were discussing his work with Talk Talk.

If you don't know David's work with Talk Talk then pin your lugholes back and take a listen to this wonderful guitar...



After finishing chatting with David, I went to down the kitchen where Debra had just arrived from work...


and Tom had been busy making his special hand-made deep-pan pizza...


After doing a bit of catching up and helping clean the kitchen, Tom was turning out the fruits of his labours...



Just as we sat down to eat, Joe came in with news that he had gained a distinction for a piece of work at college. The pizza, by the way, was gorgeous with more than enough left over for the next day.  We raised our glasses and toasted our good fortune.

As the kids say: "today was made of win!"

4 comments:

Tim Sokell said...

A lovely story Sid. It's great to be grateful!

Sid Smith said...

Cheers Tim. As you know, I'm a great believer in recognising, celebrating and savouring such moments and never take them for granted.

znathanson said...

Stop, you're making me hungry. I bet that was a great chat with Steve from Cuneiform Records. The Deep Pan Pizza looks amazing. Henry Cow's music is not easy to listen to, but I've listened to Leg End and it took me a while to understand it, but now I adore it.

Sid Smith said...

Tom's deep pan pizza was wonderful Zack! Sometimes it can take us a while to get into a particular band or music and Henry Cow would certainly come into that category. When I first heard them I had no clue about what they were doing but I knew I wanted to get closer in order to try and understand it. Like you I adore their output.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin