Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, September 04, 2011

The Half A Million Quid Book

A few month or so ago one of Debra’s colleagues at work brought in a clipping from the Sunday Mirror. The colleague asked “is this the book your bloke wrote? He must be sitting on a gold mine!”
 


Well, not really. Not at all, in fact. The limited edition of the Toxic Tome is a true rarity but is it really worth that much? Perhaps if it was signed by Robert Fripp but I only know of one person who has such an edition - and no it’s not me.

Then a couple of weeks ago some enterprising chancer put the book up on Amazon Market Place for a sum so ridiculous that one assumes the seller was drunk on a heady brew of optimism and hope or just dead drunk...

Hardly a week goes by when I don’t receive an email asking me if the book is available. Taken along with the two examples above, I suppose that means there’s some demand for the book.

The good news for those wanting a new (and substantially cheaper) edition of the King Crimson biography is that I have been commissioned to undertake a significant re-write and expansion of what we lovingly call the Toxic Tome.

The schedule is still under discussion but TT2 should be available toward the middle of 2012.

So, if you do have a spare half a million quid do something useful like supporting your favourite charity rather than paying over the odds for something that’ll be bigger and better than it was first time around.

7 comments:

Steve Lawson said...

Loved V1 of the book, very much looking forward to re-reading with the additions! :)

joesh said...

No longer there, I just checked. He/she came down to a more modest (LOL) price of £750 so I ordered 60 copies it was soooo cheap :o)

marksw3960 said...

The book has been on my 'must read' list ever since it came out but I have never got around to picking up a copy. An omission I can only blame on life passing by too quickly. Good news indeed that I can redress my tardiness.

Daniel Kirkdorffer said...

I suspect another reason the timing is right for TT2 is that soon you might be facing competition in the space from the Venal Leader himself.

I look forward to reading TT2, just as I did the first.

Sid Smith said...

Hi there Mark - the new book will be a considerable improvement on the old one, so you'll be getting in on the ground floor this time.

Sid Smith said...

Hi there Dan,
I think Robert's books will cover a slightly different angle so I'm not too worried about the "competition". If anything his book will help the sales of mine (at least that's what I hope). Oh,and we'll get to address that dreadful omission in the credits and acknowledgments this time around!

Daniel Kirkdorffer said...

Good things come to those that are patient. Thanks Sid.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin