Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Confessions Of The Sputnik Kid VI

Part I
Escape Velocity


XI

Daylight squeezes out from rain-lined clouds
as I trail a winding line from home to school.
The dusty black holes of bombed-out sites are dampened by drizzle.
My shoes suck up the downpour,
a wet yelp with every step.
Inside, waxed paper bags crowd around my feet.


XII

They are meant to keep the water out
but only make each foot slop and slither.
I try hurrying but slide inside my shoes,
lacking the traction to get going.
Not running but wading. My legs ache with effort,
a deep-sea diver come aground and out of his depth.


Images by Martin Hoogeboom
The Confessions of the Sputnik Kid I can be seen here
The Confessions of the Sputnik Kid II can be seen here
The Confessions of the Sputnik Kid III can be seen here
The Confessions of the Sputnik Kid IV can here seen here
The Confessions of the Sputnik Kid V can be seen here

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin